Sunday, May 31, 2009
Time for this week's Recipe of the Week! As promised a few days ago, today I'm sharing a super recipe for Grand Marnier French Toast that comes from 1801 First Bed and Breakfast in Napa, California! Michael and I stayed at this lovely inn for three nights in late April. Every morning, we started the day with a three-course gourmet breakfast. This was one the dishes we were served.
The chef at the inn was kind enough to share the recipe with me so we can enjoy it at home!! Now I'm sharing it with all of YOU!! It takes a bit of time to get everything assembled and cooked, but I promise that it's well worth the end result! This is the perfect dish to serve for a lazy weekend breakfast...
1801 First's Grand Marnier French Toast
1 1/2 cups milk
3 large eggs
Juice of 1 medium orange
2 tbs. vanilla
2 tbs. Grand Marnier
1 tbs. sugar
1 tbs. lemon zest
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Brioche (8 slices per loaf)
Maple pecan granola, crushed to medium coarse (I bought this in the bulk section at Central Market)
- Whisk together eggs, milk, juice, vanilla, Grand Marnier, sugar, zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl.
- Soak bread slices in egg mixture for about 30 seconds.
- Pat granola on presentation side.
- Cook in mixture of butter and canola oil 3-5 minutes/side until crisp and browned.
- Finish in a 350 oven for about 15 minutes...just enough time to make a smoothie and some bacon or sausage on the side...
- Slice each piece of french toast on a bias and set across each other.
- Serve with warm maple syrup. I doctored mine by adding a bit of cinnamon, Grand Marnier, and vanilla to match the flavors of the toast...mmmm!
- You can also sprinkle with a bit of powdered sugar.
- The chef at 1801 First recommends serving with chicken apple sausages. I couldn't find those, but the butcher at Central Market recommended a yummy maple pork and blueberry sausage that was DELISH!
This morning we served the french toast with a simple smoothie on the side. The smoothie was made from a cup of frozen pineapple chunks, an organic banana, 1/3 cup fresh blackberries, six organic strawberries, 1/2 cup orange juice, and a container of blueberry yogurt. Healthy and so yummy...
Bon appetite, my friends :)!!!