Monday, June 1, 2009

Happy Monday! Time for the Kitchen Spotlight. This week’s pick is Ziploc’s very cool Zip ‘n Steam bags. I bought a package of these bags months ago and have to admit that I threw them in the back of my kitchen cabinet…and forgot about them. I finally used them for the first time a few weeks ago. Now, I’m hooked! These steamer bags will be a staple in my kitchen from now on, I can promise you. What makes these bags so cool, you ask? First, steaming food is healthy for you. Second, you throw the bag away when you’re done…so there’s one less dish to wash. That’s a win-win scenario in my book!!

These bags are so easy to use:

1. Place your food and any seasonings in bag and seal firmly. Do not add water. Moisture in food provides sufficient steam. Spread items into an even layer. Do not overlap meats.

2. Lay steamer bag in microwave with indicated side up and cook using guidelines on bag. The bag inflates during cooking.

3. When the food is cooked, make sure to open the bag carefully, holding the top of bag where indicated.

So far, I’ve used these bags to steam corn on the cob and broccoli. Both came out perfectly cooked and yummy! I plan to branch out and try some of the recipes that are available at the Ziploc website this summer. You can find more info and recipes by going to http://www.ziploc.com/?p=b9 and navigating to the Zip ‘n Steam area.

I hope all of you will give these steamer bags a try…and let me know how you like them!

2 comments:

  1. they are also great for steaming shrimp with some old bay seasoning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the next thing I want to try!

    ReplyDelete